A feminist sewing workshop with Emily Comeau
This event has been rescheduled to July 4th.
DOWNLOAD OUR PROGRAM APP FOR ALL EVENT & TICKET UPDATES
THIS EVENT IS FREE – BUT HAS LIMITED CAPACITY: ONLY 6 PARTICIPANTS PER SESSION
Tired of your clothes not having pockets? Let’s fix that! Join Emily Comeau, textile artist supreme, for a workshop on the basics of adding pockets to just about anything. In this 2-hour lesson you will learn to make a patch pocket, as well as how to modify an article of clothing to include an in-seam pocket. Once you learn this technique, you’ll want to share it with everyone you know, so this workshop also includes a zine and pattern for you to download, print and share. Knowledge is power and so are pockets.
Public Health Guidelines will be strictly enforced to ensure everyone’s safety and comfort. Please respect the venue’s instructions for masking, distancing and travel. Stay home if you do not feel well!
Having earned both a Costume Studies diploma from Dalhousie University and a Fibre Art degree from Concordia University, Emily Comeau has an extensive knowledge of textile techniques that she is eager to share. When she isn’t sewing pockets or fabric masks, she can be found making whimsical glitter art in Montreal.
- 2 different pocket patterns will be given to each participant
- Participants will learn to make an in-seam pocket and a patch pocket
- Participants are asked to bring an article of clothing (pants, shirt, dress, shirt) that they would like to add a pocket to.
- Each participant will leave the workshop with a zine summarizing in brief the information in the workshop as well as an iron-on patch pocket.
Materials needed for workshop:
These will be available to participants, but you can choose to bring your own. Any shared tools will be wiped between usages. Each participant will have their own sewing machine available to them.
- Sewing machine
- All purpose sewing thread
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Pencil or pen
- Seam ripper
- Fat quarter of cotton or cotton blend fabric (approx. 18” square)
- Article of clothing that you wish had pockets
- Optional: HEATNBOND iron-on adhesive